Sunday, December 6, 2009

It's my Birthday! :D






Okay, today isn't really my birthday, tomorrow is (December 7th).  I am a Pearl Harbor Day baby.  The nurse wanted my mother to name me Pearl.  Thank goodness my mother refused.  (No offense to any "Pearls" out there.)

One of my goals for the past 17 years has been to get my husband to remember when my birthday is.  He knows it's on Pearl Harbor Day, but he cannot remember when that is.  Never mind that every media outlet around floods the air waves with reminders every year... 

And this pie wasn't baked for my birthday, but for Christmas last year (obviously, from the date).  It is a coconut cream pie with meringue.  I used a recipe I found in one of my mother's old cookbooks back when I was in high school (many years ago).  In fact, the book was so old then that the front and back covers were gone and I have no idea what it was called.  I'm sure she still has it, though.  I have made the pie numerous times and the only change I have ever made to it was to add more coconut to the filling.  I love lots of coconut in there.  :)  The meringue is true egg white meringue, not the meringue you can make using Meringue Powder, although that works well, too.  I like this recipe for meringue because the pie doesn't weep as much as some others I have seen.

This pie dish is one of my favorites, mostly because the unique heart shape lets everyone know that this is not a store-bought pie.

No comments: