Friday, April 23, 2010

Dragonmoon Tea Company

First of all, let me start out by saying I did not make this petit four.  It is one of two that I purchased at Dragonmoon Tea Company in Tulsa this week.  The waitress said these were not made by the restaurant, but were purchased for sale in the shop.  The photo does not do justice to the delicate shading of the butterfly's wings.  The other butterfly looked more like a Monarch, but had blue wings.

This is a chocolate petit four covered in a chocolate ganache-type icing.  The cake was dark and fudgey.  The cake was small (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter), but very rich and satisfying.  The butterfly is made out of rice paper, I believe, and soy-based inks were used, so it was completely edible.  The gold dot is a dragee, also edible (unless you live in California, then they are illegal to sell/purchase/possess, as are the silver ones... weird).

I gave the petit four with the blue butterfly to our clerical aide for Administrative Assistants' Day.  I split this one with one of our part-time case aides.  My butterfly wing had chocolate underneath it, so I didn't notice if the wing tasted like paper or not.  It melted rather quickly in my mouth.  The price was about $4 each, which is a bit pricey, but for a special occasion, it is well worth the cost.

No comments: