Monday, November 14, 2011

Easy Tip for Cleaning Scorched Pans

I can't recall where I first heard this tip for cleaning scorched pans, but thankfully I remembered it when the hubby began cooking more... cooking more, but not cleaning more.  His specialty appears to be scorched pans.


He never cleans them.  I tore up several steel wool scrubbing pads attacking the burned-on gunk.  Then I had a moment of clarity when this simple cleaning tip returned to the forefront of my mind.  It saved my sanity, not to mention my arm muscles.  Honestly, if I'm going to get tennis elbow, I want to have at least gotten it from actually playing tennis!  If you are even a little bit like me, you will be happy for this tip.  You don't even have to scrape the pan first!


1.  Add a small squirt of dish washing liquid to the pan.  (No specific brand required.)


2.  Add water to cover the scorched area, being sure to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2" or so.


3.  Set the pan on the burner and turn the heat up to High.


4.  Bring to a boil.


Allow to boil at a full roll at least one minute.


4.  Remove from heat using a hot pad, if necessary - don't burn yourself!  Rinse under running water.  Use a regular kitchen scrubbing pad to scrape away any bits of food left behind from the rinse.  A steel wool pad should not be needed.  You should still have plenty of soap in the pan, but if not, add a few drops more to ensure the pan is nice and clean.


Voila!  From scorched on food to nice and clean without having to use all that elbow grease!